This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Convertible Loan impact on EIS

masplin
Convertible Loan impact on EIS

Postby masplin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi

I am an EIS investor in a struggling business. I am looking to loan the company some short term capital while they try to raise new equity using a secure convertible loan. I am not doing an ASA as cant be secured. My question is the impact this could have on my existing EIS investment

1. If the loan converts to equity I know it is not a qualifying investment. However is this some how "receiving value" and does this affect the status of existing EIS shares?
2. If the loan is repaid I assume this is "receiving value" so again does this affect existing EIS shares and/or does it affect my ability to invest in future under EIS?
3. If the company goes bust and I receive the security is this "receiving value" and again does it affect the status of existing EIS shares

I have emailed HMRC, but the reply may not come in time. Appreciate any advice as cannot find clear guidance anywhere

Mike

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”