This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

using previous years pension allowance (carry forward) for last tax year

langtonbrow
using previous years pension allowance (carry forward) for last tax year

Postby langtonbrow » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:33 pm

Hello,

For 2022-23 I inadvertently put £45000 into my pension pot. However for the previous three years I only put on average £38000 in.

It appears that the current £5000 excess can be overridden by the 3 x £2000 carry forward, avoiding punitive tax.

My question is, how do I achieve this? Is it invoked by a polite letter to HMRC with all the facts, via a section of the Self-Assessment form SA100, or do I need to action it via my pension provider?

thank you.

darthblingbling

Re: using previous years pension allowance (carry forward) for last tax year

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:07 pm

Unless you self assessed penalty charge for 2022/23 and now need to amend it, I don't think there is anything to action aside from perhaps adding a white space note to your tax return to disclose what you have done in terms of carry forwards.

I should ask however, are you aware that the annual allowance is tapered for high earners as I assume you're earning a few bob if you're able to put that much away into your pension schemes?

darthblingbling

Re: using previous years pension allowance (carry forward) for last tax year

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:10 pm

Also you say average, should flag you need to look at your actual gross contributions for each the last 3 tax years and compare against the annual allowance available for each tax year on a FIFO basis. Assuming it is literally £38000 each tax year and your annual allowance isn't and wasn't tapered you should be ok.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”