This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Annual Investment Allowance: Balance Sheet

akstsstjs
Annual Investment Allowance: Balance Sheet

Postby akstsstjs » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:15 pm

When I comes to my annual Tax Returns I claim 100% AIA on the appropriate items - no problem.
I have never completed and submitted a Balance Sheet as I am not required to do so because I am a Partnership.
I calculate my Capital Allowances due on a simple spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet shows the year on year reduction in the asset values of the 2 cars used for business purposes - no problem.
To date I have assumed that every year, the 100% AIA claimed = 100% reduction in the AIA Asset Value, i.e. £0.
My understanding is that I need to retain the AIA Assets in the 'Balance Sheet', at £0 asset value, just in case I sell some of them, in which case I would have to pay a Balancing Charge?
But now I am wondering: am I doing this right? and, this doesn't seem to accurately reflect the value of my assets?
I have been buying AIA Assets every year, but according to my ''Balance Sheet' they are £0 value?
I'm confused, can someone explain?
TIA

robbob

Re: Annual Investment Allowance: Balance Sheet

Postby robbob » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Your calcs seem fine preusming its all eligible stuff - eg not non electric car - not leasehold improvements - not premises additionas and preusming any private use element has been "disclaimed"

I have been buying AIA Assets every year, but according to my ''Balance Sheet' they are £0 value?
Ok everything was fine till tis point as you said you didn't have a balance sheet.
If you meant to say "have been buying AIA Assets every year, but according to my ''tax computation written down value ' they are £0 value"

Then all is well and good with the world

akstsstjs

Postby akstsstjs » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks. That's good that my amateur process is AOK :D
That just leaves the issue of, what if I start producing a Balance Sheet?
Would the value of my AIA assets be written down to £0 at the end of each Accounting Year?
And if so, doesn't that give a distorted view of the actual value of my assets?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 pm

Capital Allowances are a tax concept, not an accounting one. This CA computation would not be in your balance sheet.

If you had a balance sheet it would show the cost of your assets less depreciation in accordance with your depreciation policy.

If you had proper accounts, depreciation would be a p&l expense.

Return to “Business Tax”