This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

House Renovations costs put through business

dsdsds
House Renovations costs put through business

Postby dsdsds » Thu May 05, 2022 11:37 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help regarding a house renovation for myself (and partner) and what costs I can legitimately put through my business.

I am planning on quite a substantial house renovation, and I am a self-employed designer / maker and already work on these kinds of projects for other clients. Part of the project is a new workshop / studio in the garden (£10-20k), which I am confident I can put through my business accounts. Am I able to legally gain any other benefit from my situation? I am not currently registered for VAT but I assume this may be beneficial even if just for the studio — and my existing clients are all VAT registered anyway.

Would appreciate any insights you may be able to give!

Thanks very much,
David

Jholm

Re: House Renovations costs put through business

Postby Jholm » Fri May 06, 2022 9:15 am

Do be mindful that claiming such portions of your home as 'entirely business use' eg. workshop, could scupper your chances at a full PPR claim if you sell it, since your may not be able to claim full relief on account of the business element.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Also need to consider the capital nature of the expenditure before “putting it through your business”.

dsdsds

Postby dsdsds » Sun May 08, 2022 9:51 pm

Thank you both, good advice.

Return to “Business Tax”