This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Using trading income to diversify into Property

peakfreans

Postby peakfreans » Wed May 31, 2006 8:53 am

Hi,
I am currently running a limited company selling computers. Can I use part of my trading income to diversify into property investment through the same company or do I have to pay my corporation tax and then use any profits to purchase the property. The property will be in the company name and will for rental income for the company. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Wed May 31, 2006 10:44 pm

Presuming that the company's Articles of Association permit the activity of property investment there is no problem in doing so. However, you would not save any Corporation Tax. The property would be a capital item and the purchase price would not therefore be a deductible expense.

John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
www.centralbusiness.co.uk
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 pm

Furthermore, holding a residential investment property in the company, as oppose to individually, may not be the best approach. There are more significant tax reliefs available for individuals when you come to sell the property. Companies will pay corporation tax on any gain.

Dean
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

peakfreans

Postby peakfreans » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:43 am

Thankyou very much for you help.

The purchases will be a long term investment for rental income purposes, the computer business can be flaky, therefore in the future the rental income may form a greater majority of my income. In this scenario would it not be best to purchase through the company at least I would save tax on dividends extraction in the short term and may get taper relief on any gains on disposal in the future.

Again would appreciate any advice and thankyou all in advance.

Regards
Peakfreans

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:55 am

Companies do not get taper relief, only individuals do.

You could still own the property individually and have the company manage it.

Dean

peakfreans

Postby peakfreans » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:18 am

Thanks thats been very helpful

Sorry I have further question on this issue, if the properties were commercial properties, ie shops for which I received rent, what would the situation be on disposal, could I claim business asset taper relief, or is that not possible.

Thanks again
Peakfreans

paul.e

Postby paul.e » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:53 am

No business asset taper relief is allowable on commercial property only non business asset taper relief

paul.e

Postby paul.e » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:02 am

Sorry should have added a company owning commercial property only gets non business assst taper releif. Individuals owning and letting to trading companies ( non PLC ) or sole readers will get business asset taper relief. Another reason to buy as an individual.

paul.e

Postby paul.e » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:03 am

Sorry again should be Sole traders

Return to “Business Tax”