This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax situation for a Network Marketer?

gravesmark

Postby gravesmark » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:56 am

Hi,
I have a PAYE "day job" but am also building up a commission-only income with a network marketing company. I've registered with the IR as a sole trader although I'm not actually trading as such (I gather customers but they don't pay me - they pay the network marketing company I represent & the company then pay me commission).

I have 2 questions. Firstly was I right to register as a sole trader rather than form a Ltd. company (my income is only around £2000 per year) and when should I consider incorporation (ie. at what level of income).

Secondly I understand that if I register for VAT in order to claim back the VAT on my business expenses, I'd have to raise invoices for my commission coming in. Can I raise these invoices after I get paid? The reason being I have no way of knowing the amount of commission until after it is paid, as it's based on a percentage of customer phone and utility usage. Thanks for any help.

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:53 am

I think Ian and myself covered the VAT angles on your previous post. As you are effectively receiving "self billing" you would need to sort out the VAT position with your network company. It is not a huge issue.

Re going Ltd - there is some help in the "tax doctor" section on this topic.

No doubt your normal accountant could advise you in more detail, but in general at that level of income I wouldnÂ’t bother incorporating.

Accounting fees are likely to be £300-£500 higher than as a sole trader, wiping out your tax saving. Tax saving as a higher rate payer = £300, lower rate = £600. If however you anticipate higher future sales, it could well be worth looking at, assuming you are not caught by IR35 and actually classed as an employee of the marketing company.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Business Tax”