This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

accommodation for staff

mknight

Postby mknight » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:18 am

I am considering the option of providing some of my staff with accommodation during the time they work for me (since they will be working away from their main home).

I have a relative's house available and am happy to pay market rent, approx £150/week. What are the implications if my business pays for this expense? I realise there may also be implications for the staff - Does the benefit have to be apportioned between them? This will be difficult in practise since the number of them staying at the house at any one time will vary, as too may the length of their stay.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

awj1

Postby awj1 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:20 am

Generally, the provision of accommodation to employees is a benefit in kind according to the time that they had use of the accommodation, and therefore additional taxable income for them.

The business would be required to complete a form P11D for them at the end of the tax year, and to pay over to the Inland Revenue the amount of employers National Insurance at 12.8%.

If there is a large through put of staff through the accommodation for a short period of time, etc, which was a large administration burden, and the business was feeling generous and was willing to pay the employees tax and national insurance on this, you could apply to the Inland Revenue to put the accommodation cost onto a PAYE settlement agreement. This is up to the discretion of your local office however.

I hope this helps

Amanda Wade-Jones
A Wade Tax Consultancy
amanda@tax-consultancy.co.uk

Return to “Business Tax”