This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Interim dividends

hb

Postby hb » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:07 am

I have recently established a limited company which I am a joint shareholder with my wife. From a tax administration perspective is there any formalities to complete before we make interim dividend payments e.g. is there a requirement to disclose / declare these payments to the reveune other than on the normal personal tax returns.

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:18 pm

The requirements here are more from a company law point of view.

You have to firstly ensure the dividends are legally available out of distributable reserves.

In practice this means drawing up draft accounts for the period in question (assuming there are not reserves available from the previous accounts – which wont be the case for you) However as there is no format for this specified, this can in practice be done in a fairly simple manner of income, expenditure on an accruals basis, and tax due given a net distribution available.

Secondly you need to declare the dividend. It will depend on your articles of association, but if they donÂ’t mention it, they are payable only when declared by an ordinary resolution passed by the shareholders in general meeting. Again in practice all you need to do is have a meeting and minute the review of the draft accounts, and approve the dividend.

If you donÂ’t follow this, your "dividends" could become an undeclared salary in the eyes of the IR, which is going to get rather expensive.

I would have hoped the advisor who suggested you set up the ltd co should have gone through this sort of thing with you at the outset. If you need any help with the running or accounting of your ltd co, please let me know.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Business Tax”