This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS - failure to deduct tax - right of recovery from subcontractor

avocado

Postby avocado » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 am

Dear all
During a PAYE visit at a client yesterday, HMRC have identified gross payments totalling £500k to one subcontractor who was not entitled to be paid gross. The payments cover 2004/05 and 2005/06. Worse still, the subcontractor did not (and still does not) hold a registration card! HMRC predictably want 18% of £600k from our client, and will no doubt raise an assessment in due course.

My questions are:
1. Will the subbie - who operates as a limited company - be able to recover the 18% deductions against corporation tax? Presumably he will need the CIS vouchers, so he must register first?
2. Does our client have a right to recover the 18% from the subbie company?
3. If it can be demonstrated that the subbie company has paid tax in full already, can HMRC be persuaded to short cut the system, so that rather than collect the 18% from our client and repaying it to the subbie, they might leave things as they are (though there will be an interest charge I guess).
Any other observations will be very welcome!
Regards

Bob Jones

Postby Bob Jones » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:44 pm

I see that no one has dared to answer this question .... my advice is to ask HMRC direct. At one time HMRC satff used common sence - this is becoming a rareity these days - seems that on oaccasions they are quite content to take tax twice on the same money...

Bob

AvocadoK

Postby AvocadoK » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Thank you Bob
I have now read in IR14/15(CIS) that HMRC 'may waive' the amounts if the subcontractor has paid his tax, so at least the officer should feel confident in using her common sense!
Regards
Avocado

avocado

Postby avocado » Mon May 14, 2007 3:38 am

Bob (and other interested parties)
Three months later,HMRC have agreed to 'waive' the deductions, apparently after the officer dealing with our client confirmed with her colleague dealing with the payee company that its tax affairs were up to date. So it can be done - just be patient!
Regards
Avocado

Return to “Business Tax”