This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Penalty Charge Notices

kent

Postby kent » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:55 am

Are penalty charge notices (for parking and traffic contraventions) issued to business vehicles used in the course of business an allowable expense?

If yes, I will be grateful for the relevant authority. I have been informed that they are not allowable, which I find rather harsh.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Jones

Postby Bob Jones » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Sorry HMRC will not allow fines ....the act is unusual in that it tells us what is not allowable - and ICTA88/S74 1(a) Any disbursements or expenses which are not money wholly and exclusively laid out or expenses for the purposes of the trade.....

This isn't money laid out for the purposes of the trade - it is money laid out for the purposes of, or avoiding legal action in relation to, a traffic offence.

Bob

Return to “Business Tax”