This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying More Shares in a company

BarryJK

Postby BarryJK » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:47 am

If a person is willing to sell you some of their shares in a company, worth for instance £80,000. How many years should this be spread over if they are basic rate tax payer?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:49 pm

The question does not make sense in its present format.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

BarryJK

Postby BarryJK » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:16 pm

If they received £80,000 all at once for selling the shares then surely they would be taxed all in one go. However, if they sold them over a period of say 4 years, they would receive tapered tax relief.

atwtaxation

Postby atwtaxation » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:01 am

Barry,

I agree with Pawncob - a little more info needed.

Tax is due on net proceeds, less costs, indexation allowance (if applic) and any reliefs (including, as you mention, taper relief)You will also only pay CGT on gains to the extent that they exceed your annual exemption - currently £9,200.

What type of shares? Are they quoted / unquoted?

You are possibly aware that the CGT regime changes from 6 April 2008??

Sorry I can't be more help. Let me know if you have any queries.

Cheers
Andy

atwtaxation@googlemail.com

Return to “Business Tax”