This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Business tax allowances

OL

Postby OL » Tue May 13, 2008 1:31 am

I have just started my own one man consultancy business and am trying to find out the taxman's expectation for routine expenses. For example I understand that to split one's mobile phone 70% business and 30% private is the norm. Are there other norms? Is there a list somewhere of what one can sensibly and honestly claim without getting into line by line arguments?
Thank you

sarahg

Postby sarahg » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 pm

I think if there was a list online then everyone would do there own tax and accountants would lose a lot of business.

You can claim anything that is wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business.

Why not go and see an accountant or a Business Link advisor on what you can and can't claim.

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Wed May 14, 2008 1:24 am

OL
Have a look at the HMRC booklet HS222 available here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/fagsa103.shtml
Regards
chris @ taxattack.co.uk

Return to “Business Tax”