This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

expenses

kennybond

Postby kennybond » Wed May 21, 2008 3:13 am

Can anyone advise me on the basis of expenses. I run a small mortgage business, when sometimes i meet with clients during the course of the meeting I may buy a sandwich and or drinks ( teas / coffee) whilst I transact my business. I have been told that this is entertaining and is not allowable or is this an allowable expense laid out for the purposes of my trade. For information the meeting does not take place at my place of work. If it is allowed can someone point me to the legislation. I beleive this is not entertaining as I am not entertaining.
With thanks

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Wed May 21, 2008 3:36 am

Unfortunately, entertainment is widely defined as "hospitality of any kind", and is disallowed under ITTOIA 2005 S45 for sole traders, and ICTA 1998 S577 for companies.
Regards
chris @ taxattack.co.uk

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Wed May 21, 2008 12:53 pm

I have to concur with taxattack.

kennybond

Postby kennybond » Thu May 22, 2008 1:29 am

I have found a comment on the net stating: Revenue quoted ICTA 1988 section 74. " no sum shall be deducted in respect of any disbursements or expenses, not being money wholly and exclusively laid out or expanded for the purposes of the trade" Could not the meeting with a client and conducting a review with them be conducting my trade? I think the answer may still be as you have advised but still would like to know.

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Thu May 22, 2008 1:47 am

Kenny

S74 (1)(a) is the general "wholly and exclusively" restriction on the deductibility of expenses. Just before the bit you have quoted it reads: "Subject to the provisions of the Corporation Tax Acts..."

S34 ITTOIA has the equivalent general restriction for Income Tax, with the further restriction under S45, as above.

Regards
Chris

kennybond

Postby kennybond » Thu May 22, 2008 2:02 am

Hi
Thanks, sorry to sound a bit thick. But what doesthis actually mean?

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Thu May 22, 2008 3:19 am

There is a general rule which says that you can only deduct (from profits) expenses which are wholly and exclusively for trade purposes. Then there is a special rule which says you cannot have a deduction for entertaining, even though, as in your case, it is for trade purposes.
Chris

kennybond

Postby kennybond » Thu May 22, 2008 3:26 am

Many thanks to all that have helped me here.

Return to “Business Tax”