This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

capital allowance on my taxi

Tax advice

Postby Tax advice » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I am a taxi driver and can I claim capital allowance on my taxi. Should I claim first year allowance or only capital allowance at the rate of 25%? Please explain this for me. Thank you very much.

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:51 pm

You can claim FYA on any vehicle that is not a car (though note that if this was after 5 April 2008 you claim Annual Investment Allowance up to £50,000).

Don't stop reading ! The Act (CAA 2001 s.81) says that "car" means a mechanically propelled road vehicle other than one—
(a) of a construction primarily suited for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description, or
(b) of a type not commonly used as a private vehicle and unsuitable for such use.

and your taxi falls into (b) so you can claim.

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi

I am presuming you talking about an accounting period prior to 6/4/08.

I think you have to be careful if you are using a standard road car for your taxi business as this may be deemed to be suitable for use as a private vehicle and therefore FYA would not be available.There will be no problems claiming FYA if this is a black cab type taxi.

Note if FYA is not available then there is no 3k restriction as there would be for normal cars as the car is a "qualifying hire car"

Return to “Business Tax”