This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

nil returns

chipper
nil returns

Postby chipper » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:13 pm

I am a sculptor. I sculpt because I like it. It is very costly. Every two or three, or four years I might sell a sculpture or get a commission. When I was more active I would employ an accountant but the fees now are uneconomic so I mean to do my own tax return. Since, in most years, I have no income I propose to file a nil return. If, in the future , I earn some money (generally a few thousand pounds) can I submit my unclaimed costs for previous years? I would be grateful for any advice.

Budget83

Re: nil returns

Postby Budget83 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:31 am

Is this a business or a Hobby. The way you work it sounds like its a hobby more than a business.

Assuming its a business calculate your tax returns properly. Annual account with your expenses included if there are no sales then you have a loss. Carry this loss forward to offset against future profits(when you do sell an item) alternatively you can offset the loss against other income.

Can you give us some more details, do you have any other income? do you actively look for business?

Return to “Business Tax”