This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Looking for advice on Sole Trader structure

Unclened
Looking for advice on Sole Trader structure

Postby Unclened » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:06 am

Hi guys,

I earn 43k a year (does that make me a high rate taxpayer?) and I would like to startup a small photography company with my wife who is a fulltime mum. We do not expect to make more than £7k-£10k a year. We would take it in turns to go out and photograph weddings with the view for it to become her business in the long term (my job is demanding as it is!). We are going to put in £7k worth of capital to buy equipment as well.

I have been looking at setting it up as a sole trader in her name, but would it make a difference if I helped her out by going out and doing the bookings, or would she have to show me as an employee? How would it impact my current earnings and tax situation? I am hoping to remain at arms length from the business as much as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

mullet

Re: Looking for advice on Sole Trader structure

Postby mullet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Just set it up in her name and work for free.

Unclened

Re: Looking for advice on Sole Trader structure

Postby Unclened » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm

any contracts with clients, equipment insurance, professional indemnity, public liability must be in her name too right? I am thinking that would create a lot of bother because people would always ask why the contract is with her and I am the one turning up and meeting them.

Return to “Business Tax”