This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling capital items where do I enter the sale

stapler
Selling capital items where do I enter the sale

Postby stapler » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 am

Hello
I have sold some of my tools and equipment (lathes etc) and bought better ones to do the job. Where do I enter the sale proceeds ? do I just add it to my income ? because if I do this it pushes me close to the VAT threshold which I am currently not registered for as my turnover has not been high enough up to now. Some of the equipment was purchased a few years ago and I have been reducing the value by 20% and it is now just under £1000. However some machines I sold were only purchased in 09 and 2010 so I claimed the AIA for the full amount.

RAL

Re: Selling capital items where do I enter the sale

Postby RAL » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 pm

You deduct the proceeds from sale of assent from the their tax written down value. If there is no tax written down value (after claiming capital / annual allowance) then it is a balancing charge. You enter this figure in capital allowance area of self assessment form. I do not remember the box number (I think it is box 25 for balancing charge (short form)), have a read on this help notes.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa103s-notes.pdf
RAL

stapler

Postby stapler » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:08 pm

I think it is box 25 for balancing charge (short form)), have a read on this help notes.
Hello Ral and thanks for that

I have bookmarked that helpsheet for future ref and yes it is box 25 where I enter the sale proceeds. I am so relieved, I thought it can't be right to push my takings up in this way, I have been doing it wrong in the past but only with small-ish amounts so I can live with that.

I also noted on the helpsheet that I can claim the full allowance for the older items as the balance is now below £1000 (small pool) so that is good

Many thanks
Jan

RAL

Postby RAL » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:28 pm

I am glad to be help.
RAL

Return to “Business Tax”