This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

money left in business bank account

stapler
money left in business bank account

Postby stapler » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi

At the year end should I be moving the balance out of the business account and then bringing it back in as capital introduced ?

For an easy example lets say Net Profit = £10,000 and tax has been paid on that amount. I draw £6000 to live off but leave £4000 in the business account. This £4000 then gets swallowed up it the running of the business.

Am I being taxed on that money twice if I leave it in the business ?

Thnaks

pawncob

Re: money left in business bank account

Postby pawncob » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:49 pm

No.
A. It's treated as Drawings.
B. It's treated as Cap Intro.

No you're not being taxed twice. You're taxed on profit, not capital movements
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

mullet

Re: money left in business bank account

Postby mullet » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Am I being taxed on that money twice if I leave it in the business?
No. Money in the business account may well be net profit on which you have paid tax. If you take it for yourself (drawings), then there is no further tax consequence. The bookkeeping would be debit drawings, credit bank. If you then reintroduce it as capital, the bookkeeping is debit bank, credit drawings. So there is no effect.

Return to “Business Tax”