This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Carrying forward a loss

madengineer
Carrying forward a loss

Postby madengineer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 am

Hi, I am registered for SA and have completed tax returns before, I also have a 'main' job and pay income tax through PAYE. I'm SA registered for freelance work that I do on the site (never been more than £5k per year though)

I took a bit of a break from trading and started trading again in February 2016, however for the tax year 15/16 I will have made a loss as the project that I started work on in February hasn't yet been invoiced, the invoice will made at the end of April 2016.
So when I complete my SA for 2015/2016 is there a way that I can carry forward the loss into 16/17 so that I don't have to faff around with tax codes or tax rebates?

jpcentral

Re: Carrying forward a loss

Postby jpcentral » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Just because you haven't invoiced the work doesn't mean that it shouldn't appear in your accounts. In accrual (standard) accounting a WIP (Work in Progress) figure would be included to show work which has been carried out but not yet invoiced.

If your WIP figure is equal to your calculated loss, the net effect will be to carry the loss forward to next year because the WIP will appear next year as Cost of Goods Sold.

Should there actually be a loss, there are various ways of claiming loss relief (sideways, carry forward and carry back). You would need to decide on the most appropriate for you.

Obviously the above is a simplification so suggest you take advice.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

madengineer

Postby madengineer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks John,
I had forgotten about the WIP part of the return.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Or use the cash basis?

Return to “Business Tax”