This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self-employed and HMRC self assesment

RichardJones
Self-employed and HMRC self assesment

Postby RichardJones » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 pm

I was self-employed until early February 2016 and claiming WTC's. I ceased trading and informed both HMRC (Tax) and HMRC (WTC) to look after a very unwell elderly relative and started claiming Careers Allowance - I stopped claiming WTC obviously beforehand . I'm now completing my final HMRC Self Assessment which is a bit arduous as its not for a full tax year.

I wasn't simultaneously self employed and claiming Careers Allowance so I'm wondering as my accounts are drawn up until Feb 2016 whether this should be declared as I was claiming a State Benefit - the Carers Allowance happened after my self employment formally ended. Is anyone aware? I'd rather not confuse the HMRC and get it right the first time.

Thank you for all advice.

jpcentral

Re: Self-employed and HMRC self assesment

Postby jpcentral » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:54 am

You sound as if you are making it too complicated.

Your tax return is for a full year, even though your self employed income may only have been for a part year. One of the questions on the self employment pages of a self assessment return is, "If your business ceased after 5 April 2015 but before 6 April 2016, enter the final date of trading". This is Box 7. By completing this you are telling HMRC that you stopped receiving self employment income. This will also affect the date which goes into Box 9.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “Business Tax”