This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Good general introductions to UK business tax?

jim0203
Good general introductions to UK business tax?

Postby jim0203 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm in the process of setting up a buy to let business that will operate through a limited company that I will own 100%. I aim to pay myself a small salary annually -- £17 to £18 thousand -- and reinvest the rest of the income.

I'd like to get a good grounding in the basics of UK business taxes and income taxes to the extent that they are going to apply to me: how much I should pay myself, and how (including benefits such as company cars etc); what I can expense, both within the limited company and personally; how to invest rental incomes within the limited company (e.g., can the limited company invest directly in investment funds).

Can anyone recommended some good general guides -- either online or as eBooks or print books -- that will give me an introductory guiding to this sort of thing?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Good general introductions to UK business tax?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 pm

The best guide is an accountant. With the complexities especially in regard to property it will be unwise to do it yourself.

jim0203

Re: Good general introductions to UK business tax?

Postby jim0203 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks! And yes, I have appointed an accountant. I'd still like to gain a good grounding in the basics of UK business and personal tax, though, and to build on this as my business grows. So if anyone can recommend some introductory texts I'd really appreciate it!

Return to “Business Tax”