This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Best company structure for Legal Tax Avoidance - New Company

HelpMeImStupid
Best company structure for Legal Tax Avoidance - New Company

Postby HelpMeImStupid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:09 pm

I want to set up a new company and I want to legally avoid tax. I suspect I need to plan ahead the tax avoidance part before I go and create the company.

My Background: I live in UK (10 years). Originally Irish. I dont have many ties to the UK, so I can move abroad if needed.
Company Background: Company will offer digital marketing service. This can be offered from anywhere in the world thanks to Internet. Currently planning business and creating website and online portal. I'm doing everything myself and I dont have much capital - maybe a few grand at a push.

Objective: to create new company that doesn't pay capital gains or corporate tax and where I dont need to pay income legally either.

Based on all the stuff I read online, which is quite confusing, I need to do the following (please correct me is I am wrong!):

Register the company in the BVI
Create the bank account somewhere/anywhere? <---- This is where I am extra confused
Make sure the majority of revenue does not come from any one country - so need at least 3 countries paying roughly even amount?
Move to Malaysia where there is no tax on foreign income or hop around between countries traveling so I don't over stay Visas but either way don't return to UK for more than 16 days per year
If I hire staff, hire them as self employed

Will the above formula mean I am completely tax exempt?

Is there a simpler way to achieve my goal - Do I really need the BVI registered business or can I register it in UK or Ireland and get the same benefit? For example:

If I live in Malaysia (or hop around between countries) but my company is registered in the UK, if I take all taxable profits as dividends or income, then, does that equal the same tax free result as the first scenario?

What would you do?

Really really really appreciate your advice on this.

darthblingbling

Re: Best company structure for Legal Tax Avoidance - New Company

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Ain't touching that :D

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:46 pm

Wouldn’t post it on a public forum that HMRC scans now and again
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 am

Not sure what the previous posters are concerned about, if you structure things correctly what you're looking to do is perfectly legal.

If you become non resident in the UK and don't undertake any UK based work then you are not subject to UK tax... except if you have a UK company (which will always be subject to UK corporation tax).

As such, if you set up an offshore company and move offshore permanently and don't work in the UK (and don't provide services to the UK) then you shouldn't have to pay any UK tax.

However, many people asking these questions intend to stay in the UK and set up an offshore company with nominee directors and assume that means no UK tax. If the business is centrally managed and controlled (which means directors or the people pulling the strings) in the UK then it's subject to UK tax. If the business does work in the UK (including providing services to UK individuals/companies) then it's subject to UK tax.

The other thing to bear in mind is becoming resident in other countries and subject to taxation there. While you may not be subject to tax in the UK, you may be subject to tax in countries where you are resident or providing services.

It's a minefield and you should take professional advice both in the UK and locally.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Plus factor in that:

1. Various countries' tax residence tests are usually more detailed than may appear from a summary on the internet. Most are more sophisticated than just the 90 or 180 days that might be mentioned on a website.
2. Most countries (other than, for you, EU members) will require a visa to work there.
3. Opening a bank account for an offshore company is not easy.
4. Many countries (principally the EU and crown dependencies such as BVI) have just introduced or are about to introduce substance tests for some types of business (may not include yours)
5. Do not believe the newspaper articles that give the impression this is easy.
6. A properly administered offshore company can be expensive - £5-10k p.a. is not uncommon.

Return to “Business Tax”