This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole Trader, Non Vat Registered, Vehicle purchase

KPSS
Sole Trader, Non Vat Registered, Vehicle purchase

Postby KPSS » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:45 pm

Hello, my first post, I found this place via google and a similar question was asked but that was 2012 so?

I am a sole trader who has been trading 14 months. I'm not vat registered and earning around £28k at the moment. The business is going relatively well and Im busy to the point of turning down work. Last year when I set up, I purchased a £2000 van, which is fairly old and is on 160,000 miles. Over the course of the year Ive spent a few thousand on it.... I appreciate this wasn't a sound choice, but I didn't want to invest in anything major at the start when I didnt know how the business was going to take off.

I did my tax return last year myself, and it all went ok. I put the van purchase into the return in a separate column, which I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called..... maybe AIA?

14 months down the line, Im starting to consider a newer vehicle. My current van probably needs a lot more spending on it, so would most likely get scrapped.

The best case scenario for me would be an Estate I think, but I believe in order to claim back any purchase expenses back, it needs be a Commercial Vehicle such as a Van or a Dual Cab truck? Thats correct isn't it?

Id an estate isn't an option, Id like to spend around £16,000 including Vat on a Commercial Vehicle. More than likely it will be a VW Amarok or Toyota Hilux. I would use this purely for my business as I have access to another car of a weekend (named driver). The Pick Up would be my only vehicle, and as Ive always been into cars I don't mind paying the extra to have something I'd want. I'd be looking at putting a small deposit down (say £2k) and paying around £300 a month for the vehicle. I dont want to lease or rent so the full amount would be financed.

Obviously, I'm not there yet, Ive got a bit of debt on a loan and a credit card which will be cleared within 6 months which would cover the £300 a month.

My question is, can I put these costs through on my tax return in April? As I say it will be a commercial vehicle and is used 100% for business. I do around 13k miles a year for business. So for example, could I put the £2k Deposit and however months of £300 I pay during this tax year (lets say 3 for example, £900) in my 2018/19 Tax return? OR Do I put that I purchased an £18k Vehicle in one go? Even though its on finance?

On my last tax return, It worked out better for me to put actual costs down as opposed the 45p/25p a mile if thats relevant as id spent a lot getting the van road worthy... bloody injectors!!)

I appreciate I should probably speak to an accountant regarding such a large purchase, and probably will but Im just after a rough idea.

I Can provide more information if required?

Kind Regards I anticipate the responses!

jerome.lane

Re: Sole Trader, Non Vat Registered, Vehicle purchase

Postby jerome.lane » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:27 pm

You will be able to claim capital allowances on the vehicle purchase price according to whether it is classified a a car or van.
If a van then the annual investment allowance should be available. If a car, then you have to check the rate according to the CO2.
You should also get relief for finance costs (the interest).
You should check whether a mileage claim is more tax efficient.
If you lease, different rules will apply.
Good luck!
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

KPSS

Re: Sole Trader, Non Vat Registered, Vehicle purchase

Postby KPSS » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply

When you say:

'You should also get relief for finance costs (the interest).

Does that mean just the interest? Oe 10.9% of the £300 a month? so £39 a month? I cannot claim the full £300?

It would be a Commercial vehicle worth circa £18k inc vat? Would I be better off putting the £18k purchase through as AIA?

Mileage claim didn't look very beneficial to me? 45p a mile and I did just over 10k last year, I spent more than that on fuel and repairs alone?

IF I was to buy a newer Commercial vehicle, and Id hope to have less repairs, so maybe 45p for the first 10k and 25p for anything else would give me a chunk of expenses? But could I still put the finance payments through as Id imagine the 45p a mile includes this?

Thanks

Return to “Business Tax”