This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can you help with split tax years

Harri
Can you help with split tax years

Postby Harri » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:09 am

I've been offered a job in the Middle East starting very soon. It will be a one year contract, possibly extended but split across 2 tax years. I will be out of the country for most of the year. Can someone please offer some clarification on what tax I will be liable to pay.
April 2019 to August 2019 I was employed and working in the UK
August 2019 to August 2020 will be in the Middle East.
Many thanks

AGoodman

Re: Can you help with split tax years

Postby AGoodman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:54 am

If you return to the UK in August 2020 you are unlikely to get split year treatment. Both possible cases (1 & 3) require you to be non-UK resident for the tax year following departure (i.e. 2020/21).

AGoodman

Re: Can you help with split tax years

Postby AGoodman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:55 am

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm12000

Return to “Business Tax”