This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What detail do I need to keep for Mileage log?

jtufty
What detail do I need to keep for Mileage log?

Postby jtufty » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:40 am

Hi,

Im self employed (not vat registered). At the moment whenever I attend a meeting or any other business-related journeys I log the miles and a quick note of the client or reason for travel. My spreadsheet then just multiples the mileage by 45 which I give to my accountant as my business mileage.

I was chatting to another self employed friend last week and he has an app which plots the route on a map and shows the mileage. Looks quite nifty!

It got me thinking. Are my logs detailed enough? How do others on here log their mileage? Apart from miles/date/location/reason for travel, is there anything else I should log?

Thanks

jerome.lane

Re: What detail do I need to keep for Mileage log?

Postby jerome.lane » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm

what you are already doing is fine as a minimum requirement.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

jtufty

Re: What detail do I need to keep for Mileage log?

Postby jtufty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks Jerome. I presume others are logging/doing something similar. I just want to make sure Im doing everything above board!

Return to “Business Tax”