This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole trader - purchase of a new van

Katmad
Sole trader - purchase of a new van

Postby Katmad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:05 pm

I am helping a friend to prepare their tax return for 2019-2020, he operate as a sole trader and has purchased a replacement van for his old one which was disposed of at nil value.

He operates his accounts on a cash basis and the van in purely for business use. I am unsure if it should be accounted for as Capital Allowance as the accounts are on a cash basis, does it then just get treated as an Expense allowable for tax. I find the HMRC guidance notes a little amiss as it talks about cars but does not appear to cover vans unless I am looking in the wrong place.

If anyone could clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

jvenegas16

Re: Sole trader - purchase of a new van

Postby jvenegas16 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:01 pm

There is no problem in claiming capital allowance on the new van that is 100% for business purpose

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:59 pm

You can’t claim capital allowances if you are using the cash basis.

The cost is treated as an expense just like any other expense.

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:32 am

bd6759 is correct that the van is simply treated as a normal expense as it its deemed to be more akin to plant/equipment than a car.
confirmed in BIM7005
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim75005

Under the cash basis rules, a business can have a deduction for expenditure on acquiring goods vehicles and motor cycles (but not cars).

Return to “Business Tax”