This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation: S. Ireland but reside in Scotland

RAnderson
Taxation: S. Ireland but reside in Scotland

Postby RAnderson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Hello first of all I thought i’d introduce myself :mrgreen:
My names Ryan and i’m a home renovator in Scotland and I’m now hoping I can cut down on some cost without obstructing any laws here in the UK.

It is possible for me to obtain a dual eu/irish passport as i have grandparents that are from southern so I’m wondering if this makes things suitable for setting up a business account in Southern Ireland and pay corporation tax in ireland at 12.5%. I see the UK has a double taxation treaty which is beneficial.

So my question is can i start paying taxes in Ireland a be based in Ireland legally? Maybe i need substance? Really looking forward to any replies or advice you may have

bd6759

Re: Taxation: S. Ireland but reside in Scotland

Postby bd6759 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Tax is not payable based on a passport, and companies do not have passports.

In what way do you think the DTA will help you?

Break this down. Where do you think a person (or a company) based in UK, earning in UK, and resident in UK, should be paying tax?

There is an obvious answer and that would be the correct answer.

Return to “Business Tax”