This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Limited company tax return?

LolaSue
Limited company tax return?

Postby LolaSue » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:57 am

Hi all, my husband has a relatively new ltd company in the construction industry. He works mainly through Agencies so pays tax through CIS. He has also done some private work. He has an accountant to do payroll and tax returns. The company is a micro entity. He was expecting to file a tax return but the accountant only asked for the CIS Statements to do the final submission.

Is that all we're supposed to do? Don't they need the info re the private work? My husband says he just sends the accountant what they ask for when they ask for it.

I'm worried that because, even though I try to read and understand the tax system, I find it complicated and ultimately it is my husbands responsibility.

Any advice, comments? Thanks.

robbob

Re: Limited company tax return?

Postby robbob » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Its a more cumbersome process with comapnies - stage one being by 19th April a submission must be made detailing tax deducted from income up to 5th April - that cis tax is then refunded directly to the company - this process is independent of the accounts year end. i am guess your accountant has purely (for obvuious reasons) concentrated on claiming the cis tax back now as a priority and will be looking at the aaccount as a seaparet issue - you are best to clarify that with them as it sound slike they may not have expalined that is the way it is to you very well.
Any advice, comments? Thanks.
try and persuade your husband to have active communication with yoru accountant - inclduing him asking the type of questions you are asking here :)

LolaSue

Re: Limited company tax return?

Postby LolaSue » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am

Thank you for explaining. It's helped put my mind at ease. I agree that hubby needs to develop a better relationship with the accountant. I think he finds it a bit intimidating. Maybe I'll suggest that I have a bit more of an input with the accountant to help him keep on top of things. Thanks again :)

Return to “Business Tax”