This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mileage

Shelly621
Mileage

Postby Shelly621 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi there,

Please can you advise me, I am a driving instructor and I am a solo franchisee with bsm this means I basically hire a car off them for my business. I pay a weekly fee for the car which includes service, maintenance, insurance and road tax. I use this car for driving lessons and getting to my first pupil and back home.So when I come to doing my tax return Can I claim the simplified petrol allowance if 0.45p per mile aswell as my full franchise fee?

AdamS93

Re: Mileage

Postby AdamS93 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm

It sounds like the advisory fuel rates are more applicable in your situation. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advisory-fuel-rates

The 45p rate accounts for everything (insurance, maintenance, tax etc as well as fuel) so to include the franchise fee and the 45p mileage rate, you would be double counting.

bd6759

Re: Mileage

Postby bd6759 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:14 am

Either use the fuel rate for business miles, or add up all your fuel costs and disallow the non-business proportion. (Non-business miles / total miles)

Return to “Business Tax”