This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital allowance on used car confusion

Sole trader
Capital allowance on used car confusion

Postby Sole trader » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Hello, This is my second post about capital allowance really confused how to complete my return including capital allowance, I had already a reply from Lambs he was very knowledgeable and helpful, I was advised that I could claim 18% of the value using capital allowance on used car but on the tab "Annual Investment Allowance" which is the only tab I have to fill out my return on capital allowance it does mention clearly we can not include cars it's only for vans, lorries and motorbikes. I am sole trader buying and selling different type of goods my car was bought for £5200 late April 2019, it's a car not a van, 70% is used for business and 30% for private use, car reg is 2017 with emission is 103gr petrol. I am using cash basis option, after all the hassle to complete this return at the top of that it will be more hassle for the coming years if I decide to sell and buy another car, I don't know if it's worth it to claim capital allowance for my the car I bought. your help is much appreciated Thank you

bd6759

Re: Capital allowance on used car confusion

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:14 pm

Much easier to use the mileage allowance than try to work out precise expenditure and capital allowances.
45p per mile for 1st 10,000
25p per mile thereafter

Return to “Business Tax”