This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

When Do I Become Self-Employed?

Mikethebook
When Do I Become Self-Employed?

Postby Mikethebook » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:00 pm

Since 2008 I been writing . . . as a hobby since I've never had any income from it. I tried to get a children's book published but without success though I haven't given up. But next week I sign a contract for the publishing of a non-fiction book I've written. The book will not come out until the Autumn and since royalties are only paid out every October, I may not see any income until October 2022. So when does my self-employment begin?

There is a related matter. I have incurred expenses related to publishing this book and they may lead to a loss at the outset. But since 2008, I have also spent a not insubstantial amount on writing in general, including courses on learning to write and professional services connected with improving my children's book, valid writing expenses. Will I be able to set those off against my first year's income to produce a greater loss to carry forward?

Many thanks.

pawncob

Re: When Do I Become Self-Employed?

Postby pawncob » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:10 pm

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim46351
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Mikethebook

Postby Mikethebook » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Thanks very much!

Incredulum

Postby Incredulum » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Beware, training courses will probably not be tax deductible as they are regarded as capital expenditure.

Return to “Business Tax”