This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Available Allowance

GANDONAS22
Available Allowance

Postby GANDONAS22 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 pm

Our business is due to close on May 2021 and we have a tax liability of £11,200 estimated for 20/21 tax year.
On cessation we expect to have a balancing allowance of £10,000.
As we do not receive any WDA in the final year my question is
Can this available allowance be carried back and offset against the £11,200 liability ?
Many Thanks
G

robbob

Re: Available Allowance

Postby robbob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:03 am

Practicably speaking the balancing allowance you get takes account of the WDA's you would have normally claimed but don't - Ie if you had claimed WDA's your balancing charge would have been less - this will be a zero numbers game with overall claim agaisnt profits reflecting reduction in value of that asset of time buisness had that asset.

GANDONAS22

Postby GANDONAS22 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks , I cant quite follow " claim against profits reflecting reduction in value of that asset of time business had that asset. "

I suppose I am asking will the allowance negate the liability ?

Thanks again

G

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:19 pm

Thanks , I cant quite follow " claim against profits reflecting reduction in value of that asset of time business had that asset. "
Sorry probably poorly worded on my part - basically if you bought asset for 10k and this asset is removed at market value of £2k when you cease - then the sum of capital allowances claimed for this asset (over all years) should be £8k!!!

Return to “Business Tax”