This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Business Tax Query

Graham291
Business Tax Query

Postby Graham291 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:03 am

Evening everyone.

My issue is that my girlfriend is working full time, and during the pandemic she started to sell on eBay, makeup.

She is not a business, the product was used not brand new, I brought it home for free. The problem is she made money from it and recently we realised that she needs to pay tax after her earnings. Now I'm not sure what to do now. She don't want to leave her job, and we stopped selling. So does she has to register as a self employed and if so, till when, and how we should calculate the tax we should pay? Also can we back date the sellings ? I mean she wasn't selling as a business and if I don't find out about this 1000£ free allowance probably we wouldn't even register as self employed. Also can I deduct the post office fee from the amount what we need to tax ?

Thanks for the answers in advance
G

Lambs

Re: Business Tax Query

Postby Lambs » Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 am

G,

In broad terms:

If this makeup was originally acquired for her private use, but she has sold it to raise funds, then it is NOT a business - she is simply selling off her private assets. Strictly, it is subject to Capital Gains Tax, but you/she would have had to make a capital gain of more than £12,000 in the tax year for tax to be due.

I am assuming that we are talking about an amount of makeup that she could conceivably/eventually use herself, rather than lorry-loads.

If the intention were always to sell, then it might be trading / Income Tax, but that is not how I read your post.

Regards,

Lambs

Return to “Business Tax”