This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

AppleCare VAT (insurance)

SH88
AppleCare VAT (insurance)

Postby SH88 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Hello.
I apologise in advance for this question (I'm new at all this).

Is AppleCare+ (which is Insurance on a Laptop) classed as an expense?
Furthermore, can the VAT on the purchase for AppleCare+ be claimed back in a VAT Return?

It seems Apple doesn't distribute Receipts for these transactions, but rather a "Proof of Cover" document that omits any cost involved.

Thanks in advance.

pawncob

Re: AppleCare VAT (insurance)

Postby pawncob » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Yes.
There's no VAT on insurance.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:19 am

For any warranty type expenses i am always somewhat dubious as to what vat rate will be charged - ANY buisness you deal with must supply vat invoice or detail vat being billed upon request.

Note pawncob is right that normally there is no vat on insurance - but similar arrangements may have a service element that could make them vatable and some non exempt institutions may have to charge vat on such services anway - so really as with any expenense you need to ask for vat invoice or DEMAND supplier confirm vat
and take it from there.

SH88

Postby SH88 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Yes.
There's no VAT on insurance.
For any warranty type expenses i am always somewhat dubious as to what vat rate will be charged - ANY buisness you deal with must supply vat invoice or detail vat being billed upon request.

Note pawncob is right that normally there is no vat on insurance - but similar arrangements may have a service element that could make them vatable and some non exempt institutions may have to charge vat on such services anway - so really as with any expenense you need to ask for vat invoice or DEMAND supplier confirm vat
and take it from there.
Thanks for both your comments. I appreciate your time.
Apple finally sent me a VAT receipt (I had to phone up and be put through to several departments just to get a transaction receipt emailed for some reason).
I can confirm they invoice with £0 VAT.

Thanks for confirming I can include this as an expense.
Enjoy your day.

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks for both your comments. I appreciate your time.
Apple finally sent me a VAT receipt (I had to phone up and be put through to several departments just to get a transaction receipt emailed for some reason).
I can confirm they invoice with £0 VAT.

can you advise if the invoice says the services are exempt - or whether the invoice says "subject to te reverse charge" - there may be implications for you on the vat return if the serices are supplied under "revserse charge rules" - reverse charge is only likely to be an issue if the invoice is not from apple uk - eg apple republic of ireland. If its apple uk it must be exempt as pawncob initially indicated.

SH88

Postby SH88 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:43 am

can you advise if the invoice says the services are exempt - or whether the invoice says "subject to te reverse charge" - there may be implications for you on the vat return if the serices are supplied under "revserse charge rules" - reverse charge is only likely to be an issue if the invoice is not from apple uk - eg apple republic of ireland. If its apple uk it must be exempt as pawncob initially indicated.
If I'm reading the invoice correctly, it's exempt, which I believe means nothing can be claimed back, because no VAT was paid.
Please see attached screenshot (not sure how to link images in this forum):

https://i.imgur.com/s2Bx5lk.png

robbob

Postby robbob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:58 am

Thats perfect exempt it is - no vat to reclaimand no "reverse charge" hassles

Return to “Business Tax”