This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

filling out my short tax return 2021

tempusfugit
filling out my short tax return 2021

Postby tempusfugit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi.
I am just in the process of finishing my 2020 - 2021 tax return and will be submitting it by 31st October.
During the above tax year I received government help for the self employed (grants, which are taxable).
My short tax return SA200 2021 has no designated parts to pencil in the government help that I received.
Do I just add the government income I received to my business income?
I expected specific boxes to show the above income more clearly.
Thank you in advance.

tempusfugit

Re: filling out my short tax return 2021

Postby tempusfugit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:33 pm

**when I say government help, I mean Covid 19 Grants issued by the government to help self employed**
My short tax return has no specific boxes for the above.
Thanks.

tempusfugit

Postby tempusfugit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 pm

I guess that I was wondering if the short tax return that i have received for self assessment is missing an supplementary pages? I tried to call HMRC but queue time was too long... hence my query on here.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:14 pm

The SEISS grants are treated as taxable business income and should therefore be included on the Tax Return as business income.

No harm would be done by stating in the White Space of the Return that included in business income is £XXX which relates to SEISS grants.

D&C

Postby D&C » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 pm

The guidance notes for the short return do cover this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-short-tax-return-notes-sa210

tempusfugit

Postby tempusfugit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.
On my short tax return under self employment income, I have a box 3.10A Self Employment Income Support Scheme(SEISS) where i can note the two grant payments i received from HMRC. However, I also received a grant from the council. Can this be included in box 3.10A? Or do I include this in box 3.6 where I note my business turnover?
Thanks - unfortunately I do not have the white box available on this short tax return to make a note of anything I have done. I suppose I could easily include a sheet of paper to note anything extra I need HMRC to know.
Thanks again

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:27 am

If you were self-employed, include SEISS payments
in box 3.10A and any other coronavirus support
scheme payments in box 3.6. For UK property,
include all coronavirus support scheme payments
in box 6.1.

FROM PAGE 2 HERE
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974143/SA211_English_2021.pdf

Return to “Business Tax”