This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Won't be able to pay Corporation Tax bill on time

LandB
Won't be able to pay Corporation Tax bill on time

Postby LandB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi all, firstly thanks in advance for your time and help.

My account just filed my accounts for 20/21 and I've got a corporation tax bill that I can't pay. My business took a big hit early this year, down to about 20% of the previous year's earnings, the other director stopped taking a wage and got a full time job elsewhere, I went self-employed and the business went dormant. I meant to get all this sorted already but I contracted meningitis a few months ago, spent some time in the hospital and am still not fully recovered (rough bloody year!).

Anyway, the business hasn't taken money since May, the account is -0.69p. I've got a bill for £2.5k and I can't even pay the accountant yet, let alone HMRC.

From googling it seems the payment cut off is Jan 31st as that's the period my accounts ran from 1/2 - 31/1. Is the best bet to contact them ASAP and let them know? It's a LTD company so will they even accept a payment plan from me as a director? It'll be my own personal money I'll have to pay in.

Can they come and take my car and things from my house? I didn't take exorbitant wages or dividends. I think we took 8k wages and 5k dividends each over the year.

I'm in a bit of a panic. I didn't think we'd owe anything, at least not that much. We weren't doing great anyway due to Covid, then things got even worse and I just assumed we'd be under (silly of me, I know).

Thanks again for your time.

Return to “Business Tax”