This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

where to input business expenses when filing self assessment?

wonderland78
where to input business expenses when filing self assessment?

Postby wonderland78 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:34 pm

I've been out of the country for a few years and just about to file my 2020-2021.

I put in my gross income and then I get to the end of the self assessment and I realise there was no point at which I was asked to file for expenses, and I just get the tax bill.

Been in the US and I'm used to having to file all my expenses, purchases etc. is that not the case in the UK now? do I do all my own calculations privately and provide my own net income after those? Or did I miss a section?

D&C

Re: where to input business expenses when filing self assessment?

Postby D&C » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:24 pm

Which supplementary page have you been completing :?:

There are lots of (business) expenses options on the self employment pages.

wonderland78

Postby wonderland78 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 pm

Which supplementary page have you been completing :?:

There are lots of (business) expenses options on the self employment pages.
I'm not sure if I'm able to post images here but I took a screenshot of what I can see:

https://imgur.com/a/QaZ3tqT

I'm not sure what you mean by supplementary pages and I can't see anything that pertains to self employment other than my gross income.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:23 am

That page is asking for types of income. It doesn’t ask for gross income.

The way you have filled it in tells the system that you have 1 self employment business. As you go through the pages you will be presented with 1 set of questions about that business.

Return to “Business Tax”