This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Use business to finance office build on my land

pigsfoot
Use business to finance office build on my land

Postby pigsfoot » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:45 pm

Hi,
Just thinking out aloud here but i have a very large garden and i have permission to build an office within the garden which i will use for my business. I currently rent offices so when ready the plan will be to close them and move into the new ones at home and i was going to charge rent for the use of them.

My question is to ask if there is anyway the company can pay for the offices to be built with no tax implication to myself. I know if i was to take a loan from the company over say 5 years there is a tax liability to myself and the company which i don’t want to do. What i was wondering is if the company could pay for the building works and in return i wouldn’t charge any rent for the period equivalent to the build cost, approx. 100k. I am thinking £1500 / month rent so over approx. 5 years he build would pay for itself.

I understand any rent paid to me is taxable via self assessment, what i want to avoid is additional tax if i can get the company to pay for it rather than i use personal funds of 100k and then get it back slowly via rent.

I hope that makes sense, any suggestions would be appreciated, just want to have some ideas before i go to my own accountant. Thanks

Jholm

Re: Use business to finance office build on my land

Postby Jholm » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:10 pm

You're going to get stung on CGT if you ever sell that house as it scuppers your chances at full PPR.

pigsfoot

Postby pigsfoot » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:46 am

@Jholm Please explain why, the building is ancillary to the main house and will not be residential as we only have permission to use it as a home office / workshop. If or when we do decide to sell ( 5 - 10 years ) this building will form part of the sale as a whole, therefore i can not see why it would have any affect of the PPR. Thanks

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:48 am

If a part of the property is used entirely for business purposes and claimed as such, you cannot claim PPR relief on that element.

pigsfoot

Postby pigsfoot » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:26 am

OK, thanks, thats very helpfull. I think the long term plan would be to use it as a office for say 5 years and then apply for residential use as a Granny Annex type of thing. If we then use it as such for 18 months ( we have no plans to sell any time soon ) or so i expect it will revert back to residential and hopefuly we get still get the PPR

Return to “Business Tax”