This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Premium on short lease - tax deductible

SYR
Premium on short lease - tax deductible

Postby SYR » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi,

My company is going to acquire a short lease (2 years expiry terms) from the short leaseholder and the premium is over £100k.

My company has been trading at the premises for several years and has been paying the short leaseholder rent, annual rent is £80k per annum.

The location of the premises is excellent and it means my company will have to right to negotiate a new lease from the landlord when the existing lease expires. The rent charged by the landlord will only be £20k per annum.

Would anyone advise if the premium paid be deducted from the company's trading profit.

Many thanks

bd6759

Re: Premium on short lease - tax deductible

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:40 pm

Not quite, but almost.

You need to work out the taxed receipt: that is the amount of premium that will taxed as rental income on the landlord. The formula is p x (50-y)/50
P = premium
Y = length of lease in complete years minus 1 year.

The taxed receipt is allowed as a deduction, as is any annual rent you might have to pay.

See s60-69 ITTOIA 2005.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/5/part/2/chapter/5/crossheading/tenants-under-taxed-leases

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:37 am

I should add that the taxed receipt is apportioned by days into tax years.

SYR

Postby SYR » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:15 pm

The trouble is the short leaseholder didn't pay much for the original lease when it was granted some 20+ years ago.

Does it mean it's all deductible as the company rent? Due to the pandemic and lockdown, the assignment of lease took over more than 2 years to complete. The unexpired term was original 5 years, now only 2 years left. I just do not want to get into trouble with HMRC in relation to the lease deduction.

Many thanks.

Return to “Business Tax”