This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Residential Property Company

Charlie9462
Residential Property Company

Postby Charlie9462 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a residential property company which I use to purchase property through. I actively manage the properties (2 at the minute, soon to be 3). I also work a lot of hours looking for new deals etc.

My question is I am just doing my first year's tax return for the company. When I click through on HMRC it is asking me if the company is an investment company or not

Exert from HMRC website:
"We need to know if the company is:

an insurance company - not including independent insurance brokers
an investment company - the main business is buying assets like shares and financial securities
a credit union - the company operates like a bank and lends money
a commercial property management company - this is different to a flat management or Right to Manage company"

Now does a residential property company fall under 'investment company' above or not? And what is the difference between if I press yes or no. ie what changes in the way the company gets taxed?

I see it as a business as I plan to do a couple of property flips this year along with managing the portfolio but would be good to know how selecting investment vs trading business impacts the tax.

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Residential Property Company

Postby bd6759 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:17 pm

If the activity at this moment is solely the receipt of rents, it is an investment company. (But not a close investment holding company which used to have adverse tax consequences).

The tax rates are the same whether it is an investment or a trading company. There are subtle nuances, but none that are material in small companies. So it really doesn’t matter.

Incredulum

Re: Residential Property Company

Postby Incredulum » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:52 pm

If you're doing flips then that's likely to be trading activity.

But it doesn't make much difference as to the outcome.

Return to “Business Tax”