This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Business Asset Disposal Relief

Haydon1
Business Asset Disposal Relief

Postby Haydon1 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Think I may have put this in the wrong topic and maybe that is why I have not had any replies.

Can BADR be claimed if a business premises (that has been owned for over 20 years by a sole trader) is sold but the business continues to trade elsewhere?

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Business Asset Disposal Relief

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 am

No, I don't think so.

"TCGA s.169I(2) For the purposes of this Chapter a disposal of business assets is—

(a) a disposal of the whole or part of a business,

(b) a disposal of (or of interests in) one or more assets in use, at the time at which a business ceases to be carried on, for the purposes of the business, or

(c) a disposal of one or more assets consisting of (or of interests in) shares in or securities of a company.

Haydon1

Postby Haydon1 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:33 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Would closing a retail shop and going to mail order only be considered (a) a disposal of the whole or part of a business?
Part, being closing and selling the retail shop?
Thank you

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:36 pm

I don't know I'm afraid. My gut instinct is no but that is based on very little - it's not a point i've ever looked at

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:54 pm

I’m in the no camp as well. Maybe if there were two distinct parts co-existing together: retail and online, you might have a case, but as presented the online side appears to be a new business.

jamesmcgrill

Postby jamesmcgrill » Wed May 25, 2022 5:10 pm

Whilst an EIS style relief could be the answer for the go-getters of today, an abrupt end to BADR is unlikely to serve those looking to retire and cash-in on their business and benefit from up to £100,000 of relief that is currently within touching distance.

jamesmcgrill

Postby jamesmcgrill » Sun May 29, 2022 6:48 am

Rollover relief allows a trader to defer the payment of capital gains tax where the disposal proceeds of a business asset are reinvested in a new business asset. The deferral is achieved by deducting the chargeable gain from the cost of the new asset https://www.connexusconsultants.co.uk It can be where proceeds are fully or partially reinvested.

jamesmcgrill

Postby jamesmcgrill » Sun May 29, 2022 7:51 am

Rollover relief allows a trader to defer the payment of capital gains tax where the disposal proceeds of a business asset are reinvested in a new business asset. The deferral is achieved by deducting the chargeable gain from the cost of the new asset <a href="https://www.connexusconsultants.co.uk/plans-pricing">.</a> It can be where proceeds are fully or partially reinvested.

Return to “Business Tax”