This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

deposit query

smithy74
deposit query

Postby smithy74 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:14 am

Hi Everyone,
I just have a query..
Three years ago i took a lease on a business unit and incurred the usual initial start up fees which included a deposit.
When I did my accounts for that year, I noted these expenses as 'allowable business expenses' which included the deposit.
I have since received a partial refund of the deposit - I don't know why but I am now confused as to where this refund is deposited - business account or non business account?
I presume its the non business account but I am still not sure - can some one advise me please?
Thanks in advance,

pawncob

Re: deposit query

Postby pawncob » Wed May 25, 2022 9:38 am

I'm not sure what your query is. A security deposit isn't an allowable business expense, and should not have been included.
If you included it in expenses, then a refund should be credited to business expenses.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

smithy74

Postby smithy74 » Wed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will do what you've said and put the refund of my deposit back into my business account. However I only received a partial refund.
Thanks again for your time and help.

smithy74

Postby smithy74 » Wed May 25, 2022 4:51 pm

Or, do I just put this into my non business account and credit my business expenses by the amount i received back? Thanks.

Return to “Business Tax”