This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Most efficient tax set up

u768211

Postby u768211 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:00 am

Hi everyone,

Newbie question here.

My wife and I are planning on selling our home, and downsizing slightly. This is due to the arrival of our baby daughter, and the related nursery fees!

I would like to lower our risk on the main home, and therefore would like to extract some of the capital on our home, with a view to buying a flat to rent out when the housing market calms.

I would not look to gain an income on a rental basis, I would just be looking to offset the mortgage payments. But, I would be looking to realise a gain on the property after x years, with a view to increasing our property portfolio via remortgage, and new purchases.

What is the most tax efficient way to do this? The question in short, How do I avoid paying as much tax as possible? PLC, LTD, LLD, or just owned by us? I have heard that as a company you can just put the profits back in to that co. and then pay yourself dividends, which are only open to NI payments?? Is this correct, surely too good to be true?

Apologies for ignorance.

Any advise greatly received.

James.

u768211

Postby u768211 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:00 am

[ editor's note: Sorry James, as every advice is based on information given, it would be dangerous to let people change the information they gave once someone has already replied based on the previous information. ]TYPO ALERT! > LLP rather than LLD (any way to edit posts on this forum?)

Bridget Jones

Postby Bridget Jones » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:00 am

Your would need to seek professional advise as for the tax implications. IR35 rules may come into plan under the plan you suggest.

u768211

Postby u768211 » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am

Thanks,

Anyone got any other advice on this?

What would be the best set up with the situation that I have outlined? I understand that I would need to get specific advice before I commenced on a course of action. But would like to use these forum resources to get an idea of my options.

Thanks,

James.

Return to “Business Tax”