This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Work from home

keat

Postby keat » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:22 pm

I do a lot of work from home. Can I claim anything back for things like, heating, lighting etc

demetris

Postby demetris » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:37 pm

This is a grey area. Assuming you are not an employee but a sole trader, things are easier. You can claim a reasonable proportion of household expenses such as light & heat, cleaning, council tax, telephone based on the space that is used for business.

The taxman will not accept a genral estimate that is not based on anything. Also make sure that you are not claiming mortgage interest, water rates, insurance as the taxman will not accept them.

I hope this helps.
Demetris Savva BA FCCA
constantinesavva@accamail.com
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
We have an article on the subject in the FREE Special Report on How to Save Tax that we send automatically to al subscribers to our FREE weekly newsletters on tax and other business matters. You are welcome to check it out together with all the articles on our site.

iwallace

Postby iwallace » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:28 pm

My wife runs a limited company from home. Having seen the forum entry, she's going to apply a 25% charge to gas, electricity and rates. But how can we justify this rate of 25%? What are the usual yardsticks?

Also, you mentioned that you can't normally claim mortgage interest. Does this also extend to capital repayments? If so, what about setting up a simple leasing arrangement for 1 room in the house?

Return to “Business Tax”