This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

etf
Re: HMRC-is it time to call the Army in?

Postby etf » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:49 am

Well the 28 June deadline has come and gone and still no response from HMRC. That means they have had 5 months to respond to a non-complex piece of post but haven't. The national press are having a field day with public servants and the breaking of codes, but in Taxationweb land things are still eerily silent. Are the editorial staff too far removed from the coal face to write about what really matters to the public and agents?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:43 pm

I still want to know if HMRC has Crossed the Line with ESC A19?

The poll has been open since 2012.

(and i still don't know what ESC A19 is)

etf

Postby etf » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Still no reply from HMRC, despite a telephone prod a week or two ago. Will I receive a reply before the 6 month anniversary.....a couple of weeks to go? I was told I should have received a reply but the correspondence had been put in a wrong pile.

And two links for ESC A19:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-did-not-act

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/employment/what-if-i-do-not-pay-enough-tax/extra-statutory-concession-a19

etf

Postby etf » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:03 am

Over six months after submitting a letter to HMRC I still have not received a reply despite 3 chasing phone calls. It appears an incorrect 2019/20 calculation has recently been issued to my new client without any reply to the questions in my letter being considered/actioned.

On further digging in a fourth chasing call it appears my client received a taxable expense payment in 2012 which seemingly has been included in his code for each following tax year even though no subsequent P11Ds have been submitted by his employer. I'm not aware how HMRC systems work, but surely somebody should update an individual's code number based on the latest available P11D submission? . This failure appears to have been going on for nearly a decade and despite specifically questioning the coding restriction in my January 2021 letter the 2019/20 calculation once again included it.

The word shouted out loud by the Danish cyclist after crashing into the British rider this morning springs to mind (and at the same volume....it seemingly translates quite well from Danish into English).

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”