This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Netting off payments

devnull
Netting off payments

Postby devnull » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I have a self-assessment bill for a measly £2.60 for tax year ending 05 Apr 2015. I paid this by direct debit on 25 Aug 2015. My account now shows that I have "overpaid" by £2.60, and that I have an unpaid bill of £2.60.

Can I be confident that HMRC will net off these amounts when the tax bill falls due on 31 January 2016? Or has there likely been an error in processing which means that they think that it is still unpaid, and land me with a fine?

I tried to contact their helpline, but couldn't get through. Their helpline is a bit of a shambles, to be honest. I don't see how anyone is supposed to resolve queries.

robbob

Re: Netting off payments

Postby robbob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:13 am

Don't worry everything if fine - everything normally goes into the the pot with self assessment tax reminders (although one does need to be careful with payment allocations if there are overdue taxes/return adjustments etc).
The statement simply reflects the reality that the future bill is not due yet so in theory you are still in credit - as long as they don't accidentally refund you this credit everything will be matched at such time as this needs to be done.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:33 am

but remember that you will have to pay the amount due when it falls due for payment if still shown as outstanding
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

robbob

Postby robbob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:32 am

wamstax
but remember that you will have to pay the amount due when it falls due for payment if still shown as outstanding
Morning Bill - Note the op confirmed they had paid the liability so this should not be the case here.

I paid this by direct debit on 25 Aug 2015.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”