This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Does HMRC require my permission to see my private bank accounts

Jonny21
Does HMRC require my permission to see my private bank accounts

Postby Jonny21 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Simply, can the HMRC ask my bank to release statements and/or other information about my private bank accounts to them. Is the situation any different if these are business-related bank accounts. Do they first have to ask my permission or at least acknowledge to me that they are doing so or planning to do so? Thank you. Jon.

bd6759

Re: Does HMRC require my permission to see my private bank accounts

Postby bd6759 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Normally they would ask you to get them.

They can ask the Tax Trinual to approve the issue of a Notice to a bank, but both you and the bank must be notified beforehand and given the opportunity to respond.

However, if they feel that that informing you would have a negative impact on the assesment or collection of tax, they can ask the Tax Tribunal to authorise a notice without informing you.

The bank cannot (should not) release them without a statutory requirement to do so.

AGoodman

Re: Does HMRC require my permission to see my private bank accounts

Postby AGoodman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Not statements but HMRC do receive details of bank interest from UK banks automatically.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”