This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS Tax Paid Twice

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:11 pm

CIS Tax Paid Twice

Postby Blue1234 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi all,

I made a mistake and I was hoping for some guidance about what the process would be for resolution.

Used a company for clearing pigeon fouling and installing deterrents. When I queried them about these works falling under scope of CIS I was led to believe this would not be applicable.

Paid the invoice (there was no deductions for CIS shown). Queried with HMRC and was initially told no it would not fall under the scope but further checking with a supervisor advised clearing the fouling would.

Contacted said company and was led to believe the over-payment would be returned and requested an amended invoice to show the CIS deduction as they are verified as standard rate. Paid the CIS tax to the HMRC and did my return as it was end of month.

Now being told they won't be returning the overpaid tax and won't be supplying an amended invoice to show the deduction.

A very silly mistake on my behalf and I feel very foolish as I always do my checks first but on this day I stupidly took the word of the company.

Does anybody know the process the HMRC will follow now? Just looking for some direction on what the process would be when I contact the helpline about this.

Posts: 4485
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: CIS Tax Paid Twice

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:32 am

They'll have their cake as well! Their invoice doesn't have to show the deduction and you've (now) complied with the regs. Unfortunately you've overpaid the subbie and all you can do is request that they refund the overpayment when you issue the tax certificate.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”