This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Question About HMRC Payments - Charity Event

AntWales
Question About HMRC Payments - Charity Event

Postby AntWales » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi,

New user in peace.

I have a query which I hope can be answered by somebody on here:

I have helped co-organise and pay for an event which is going to help a cause that in turn helps a number of charities.

However, I have been told that this may fall foul of HMRC rules, and so I would like to know who would be liable for any payments - is it myself, the place where the event is taking place, or the cause which I am helping to raise money for which will in turn pass money on to charity?

The event is going to be a ticketed one, so may involve the host/location as well possibly?

The cause which I am raising the money for alerted me to HMRC rules, but are being somewhat vague about what the issues might be (also they don't appear to be wholly supportive of my event) and have said that they will only tell me once I meet with them next week.

Basically, the TL:DR is:

There is an event going on for Cause A at Location A which helps Charities A, B, C and D - so basically who is responsible for paying HMRC's wedge?

bd6759

Re: Question About HMRC Payments - Charity Event

Postby bd6759 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 pm

If an activity is in the nature of trade, then the profits will be taxable. So it depends on what your event is, how it is organised and how it is carried on.

Thats the best I can do given the cloak and dagger question.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”