This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Living outside of the UK but received penalties for not paying taxes. Any advice?

harripixx
Living outside of the UK but received penalties for not paying taxes. Any advice?

Postby harripixx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello everyone

I have been living outside of the UK for the past few years now, but for a temporary job that I had when I returned for a few months in 2014 I filed a tax return with HMRC.

For what I suppose is carelessness, I hadn't considered that they would still want information from me while living abroad, and to my horror today I found that I have £1300 in penalties for not filing my tax returns. I am wondering if there is any way that I can contest this or is it a question of pay up or not return home, does anyone have any experience with this or any advice? To further expand on my situation I have been working as a volunteer for board and lodging

Thanks in advance

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Living outside of the UK but received penalties for not paying taxes. Any advice?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi

This is quite common that people go overseas but forget to notify HMRC so HMRC assumes you still need to complete a tax return.

I would just write to them and sure they will cancel tax returns and quash any penalties.

Kind Regards

GTA

harripixx

Re: Living outside of the UK but received penalties for not paying taxes. Any advice?

Postby harripixx » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for the advice, it worked as you said. I called and it seemed that I was just in time to stop the penalties, a few weeks later and they wouldn't have been able to do anything apparently.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”